Alimony and Support Claims
Filing for bankruptcy does not suspend or stop the obligation to pay child support or alimony. Whether an obligation imposed by a divorce decree is dischargeable depends on whether it is characterized as support or as a property settlement. In many instances, obligations for property settlement can be discharged in bankruptcy, while obligations for child support and alimony cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy law, not state law, determines whether an obligation is a support obligation or a property settlement obligation.

Chapter 12 Hardship Discharge
A Chapter 12 hardship discharge may only be granted if the unsecured creditors have received at least as much as they would have received through a Chapter 7 liquidation and if modification of the plan is not feasible.

Compensation for Professionals
The Bankruptcy Code provides the statutory authority for compensating the services and reimbursing the expenses of officers of the estate. These claims are afforded first priority in the distribution of an estate. The Bankruptcy Code prescribes the standards according to which the amount of compensation is to be determined.

Secured Claims and Liens
Secured claims include liens, security interests, security agreements, and secured claims. An allowed claim secured by a lien on property in which the estate has an interest, or that is subject to setoff, is a secured claim to the extent of the value of the creditor's interest in the estate's interest in the property or the amount subject to setoff. A secured claim carries the right to adequate protection of collateral. Unavoided liens survive bankruptcy but circumstances may demand action by a secured creditor to protect the lien.

Turnover to the Trustee
The Bankruptcy Code requires an entity in possession, custody, or control of property of the estate, including exempt property, to deliver that property to the trustee, unless the property is of inconsequential value to the estate.

© 2024 Murano & Roth, LLC | Disclaimer | Privacy
800 Kinderkamack Road, Suite 202N, Oradell, NJ 07649
| Phone: 201-265-3400

Firm Overview | Lawyers | Useful Links | Practice Areas | Industry Updates